Rough day for recovery. I was really tempted to bail on the daily exercise but managed to squeeze out the crystals. It originally started as an experiment to see if mental ray object lights worked with the parti_volume shader. Then I tried making crystals glow. I used a technique in a previous render of using a ramp to make the light falloff at the edges of the emitting geometry and for some reason it wouldn’t work with the crystals. The UV’s were fine. I don’t know what happened. Then it turned into experiments with MILA shaders in an interior until finally I tried to see what they would look like in a sIBL scene. I’m a little disappointed they weren’t casting any colored light on the ground. I’ll have to go back and investigate that further at some point.
The torso is what it looks like. I’ve let my anatomy studies lag so I’m getting back into it. It’s funny how information can take time to sink in.